In this workshop, building verse, from the individual word through lines and stanzas to the finished, polished poem, is the focus. Activities designed to summon poetic inspiration and responses to it are explored. The class practices basic elements of the craft—such as line breaks, voice, openings, and closings—and reads and discusses the work of a variety of modern and contemporary poets. Students’ poems are read and discussed in each session.
- The basics of writing and revising poetry
- Considerations of and responses to poetic inspiration
- The vocabulary of poetry writing and workshopping
- You will discover new possibilities for your current poems and gather ideas for new poems
- You will receive feedback on each work you submit
- You will study the essentials of poetry in a creative community of writers reading and responding to one another’s work