Make Summer Plans Today to Make the Most of Your Break
The best part about summer vacation is being able to travel to new places and learn from new cultures, but sometimes it can be difficult to get away when you’re busy preparing for your future. Luckily, there are ways to keep the learning going this summer while still preparing for your career (and without traveling too far!).
Check out the list below for some ideas of how to make the most of your summer by exploring creative outlets, meeting new people, and most importantly, learning new things!
- If you’re looking for something rewarding to do this summer during your time off, why not try local volunteering? On top of the fulfilling experience that comes from helping others within your own community, volunteer opportunities can also be a great way to explore new areas of interest that might even give you a sense of where you’d like to go in your career. Career Contessa discusses the various ways that volunteering can be beneficial to helping you and your job growth.
- Plenty of music, art, tech and cultural events take place during the summer that are also geared toward educating and guiding young professionals. Attending events like these is a great way for you to have some fun this summer and still open up your mind to new and innovative ideas in the workplace. Meet like-minded individuals working toward their own goals, and get inspired by their stories! Here are a few events we recommend:
- 99U Conference is a gathering of professionals across creative industries that get together to speak and share insights from their particular fields. Learn from a panel of professionals as they discuss the value of social responsibility and how companies are using creativity to change things up. Sign up for a workshop or two, learn hands-on approaches to new technologies, and see how they apply to you and your professional goals.
- Find out all about 2017’s Parsons Festival at The New School. If you’re thinking about going into the design field, this annual festival is a great way to learn from current students actively working on their style in the schools of Fashion and Art and Media and Technology. Find inspiration from this year’s group of The New School creatives and check here to find out information about the 2018 festival.
- The Northside Festival invites well-known performers, local musicians, thought leaders, and tech innovators to Brooklyn for a week’s worth of events and discussions that inspire new thinking to change the world ahead of us. Attend one or multiple days, have fun, and learn something that can help you and your career.
- Stay sharp during your downtime by signing up for Summer Intensive programs with Open Campus. Stand out on your college applications by signing up for Introduction to Printmaking or Design and Management with Parsons School of Design, and use what you learn in class to add to your portfolio. Or earn college credit by taking a Summer Writers Colony or Publishing Institute course, which can be another great way to connect with the literary industry. Plus, you’ll make valuable connections with experienced faculty and accomplished peers.
- If you’re running at the gym, commuting on the train into the city, or working remotely, turn off the music and switch on a podcast! Listening to podcasts, like Innovation Hub, will introduce you to new things related to either your interests or entirely random subjects like education, transportation, science and more. Podcast listening can be a great tool for your professional career, as you can use the content as inspiration for your creative work. Check out this Asking Out Loud episode of our joint podcast with Cannes Lion, and find out about how collaboration can lead to success.
If you’re looking for additional advice, Open Campus provides plenty of online resources to help guide you toward career growth all summer long.